Call Us
Toronto and Area's Asbestos, Indoor Air Quality and Mold Inspection Professionals

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – A Sad Reminder

Sometimes, environmental hazards in the home take their toll on health gradually. Others – like carbon monoxide or CO – can prove deadly and work quickly as a recent tragedy in the GTA brought to light.

Three members of a GTA family are dead after succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning recently. A Brampton man returned home from working at the family business to find his mother, father and brother dead and other family members compromised. The furnace in their home broke down and because it was a Sunday evening, the family brought propane heaters inside to keep the home heated until repairs could be arranged on the Monday. Officials believe that the CO alarm went off but by the time it did, no one was able to respond.

Tragically, it only took a few hours for concentrations of CO to reach deadly levels.

A Sad Reminder
We’ve been through a ringer of a winter and when the furnace breaks down, or even if you live in an apartment and the landlord turns down the thermostat, it’s tempting to add extra heating. Just remember that there are space heaters designed for safe indoor use – and others that should never be taken indoors.

Carbon monoxide is colourless and tasteless. You won’t smell it and it becomes deadly at higher levels. It can be produced by incomplete burning of fossil (petroleum-based) fuels and as such, any gas, oil or diesel heating system along with gas operated appliances like vehicles and even floor polishers can potentially produce this toxic gas.

  • Even chronic, low levels of CO that an alarm won’t detect can contribute to a number of illnesses and conditions and even lead to premature death.
  • You won’t show any ill effects other than headaches and a chronically stuffy nose, things you may very well pass off as unrelated to any environmental causes.
  • It’s especially dangerous for children, the elderly or anyone with an already compromised respiratory system.
  • Pets are also at an increased risk.

Know the symptoms:

  • Respiratory issues
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Overall weakness
  • Mental confusion

When you’re indoors and need extra heat beyond what your furnace is putting out, please only use those space heaters designed for indoor use. Do NOT use any propane heaters, BBQs or other heating designed for outdoors or the garage.

Let ESG Help
Our equipment and experienced technicians can conduct an Indoor Air Quality audit that will proactively determine levels of CO and other air contaminants such as carbon dioxide and VOCs (volatile organic compounds) at levels that a home detector can’t. Knowledge is the key to maintaining a healthy home and we can give you that assurance.

Environmental issues can be solved – let us show you how. Let us give you peace of mind – call the Environmental Services Group for a quote. We’re your indoor air quality experts serving Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) – at (416) 575-6111(416) 575-6111.

In The News and on TV:
ESG has been featured on CTV and Global news and we’re the official supplier to HGTV’s Income Properties with Scott McGillivray and Leave It To Bryan.

Environmental Services Group is a cutting edge environmental consulting firm based in Toronto and servicing both the Greater Toronto Area and Ontario. We provide state-of-the-art, industry-leading expertise in remedying environmental hazards such as mold, lead, asbestos and much more. Call 416-575-6111416-575-6111 or visit our website today for a pressure-free initial consultation. You’ll be glad you did!

This entry was posted in Carbon monoxide, Indoor Air Quality, Indoor Air Quality Testing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.